Custom/Commercial Structural Designer
Posting Date: 04/10/2015
Specific Category: Structural Engineering
Candidate will be responsible for producing structural construction plans for custom homes and small commercial projects, as a designer/drafter on our custom/commercial team under the direction of a licensed structural engineer. Plans can include any and all of the following:
- Structural wood framing, for roof, ceiling, floors, walls, headers, etc.
- Steel framing for larger loads, longer spans, or unusual architectural conditions
- Lateral force resisting systems, including shear walls, moment frames, floor diaphragms, etc.
- Concrete foundation systems with conventional reinforcement or post-tensioning
- Details for members and connections, in wood, steel, and concrete
Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, work well under pressure, and meet deadlines. Candidate must be able to multi-task effectively between projects, open to learning new skills as the need arises, and willing to work long days and occasional weekends as required.
- High School Diploma or better
- Experience with AutoCAD (2012 or later) required, experience with Revit a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills for frequent direct correspondence with clients
- Strong computational skills
- Strong spatial reasoning ability required; able to think in 3D while working in 2D
- Knowledge of residential and/or light commercial framing preferred
- Familiarity with any structural analysis or design software preferred
- Familiarity with any of the following building codes and design specifications a plus:
- IBC/IRC 2012
- AISC Steel Construction Manual, 14th Edition
- ACI 318-11
- NDS for Wood Construction 2012
- PTI Design of Post-Tensioned Slabs-on-Ground
- WRI Design of Slab-on-Ground Foundations
- ASCE 7-10 Minimum Design Loads for Buildings
Smokers need not apply.