Energy Rating and Field Testing
Demand for Green Building and Energy Efficiency
New mandates and growing customer demand require that all homes and buildings be constructed with an increasingly higher level of energy efficiency.
MLAW Energy provides new and existing homes and structures with energy rating and auditing services for builders, general contractors, architects, and individuals, in addition to commercial and industrial energy optimization audits.
MLAW Energy's Expertise Includes:
- Energy Audits
- HERS Energy Ratings
- Energy Consulting and Plan Review
- Energy Efficiency Analysis
- Energy Code Inspections
- Energy Star Certifications
- Environments for Living Certifications
- Environments for Living Certified Green Certifications
- Third-Party Inspection and Testing Services
- Commercial/Industrial Energy Optimization Audits
- Commercial/Industrial Energy Program Development/Implementation
- Energy Insulation Evaluation
- Whole Structure Infiltration (Blower Door) Testing
- Duct Leakage Testing
- HVAC System Air Flow Testing
- Gas Appliance Safety Back Draft Testing
- Defect Evaluation and Analysis
New and existing technologies make it possible to build an energy efficient home or structure (build green), resulting in savings on your monthly utility bill. Our energy team can review and rate your construction plans, evaluating the efficiency of the insulation, windows and doors, appliances, HVAC systems and exterior cladding.
MLAW Energy can evaluate any home’s energy use in order to:
- Pinpoint where and how a structure is losing energy
- Determine which systems in the structure are working inefficiently
- Determine what cost-effective measures can be put in place to rectify inefficiencies
MLAW Energy is a Certified RESNET HERS Rater and Auditor. The HERS Index (Home Energy Rating System Index) is the nationally recognized scoring system for measuring a home’s energy performance. The HERS Index Score can be described as a sort of miles-per-gallon sticker for houses. It measures the home’s energy performance as compared to other similar homes.
In addition to a HERS Index Score, a home energy rating can also provide the homeowner with a detailed report regarding energy problems in the house. In addition to the visual home energy survey, MLAW Energy will perform a detailed energy audit including a blower door test, duct leakage test, combustion analysis and infrared camera survey to determine:
- The location and number of air leaks in the building envelope
- How much leakage is occurring from HVAC distribution ducts
- How effective is the insulation inside walls and ceilings
- Any existing or potential combustion safety issues
This whole-house evaluation will identify and prioritize proposed treatments for improvement, which will be documented in a written report provided to the client.
The 2009 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) requires energy code testing for all residential single-family construction in Texas permitted after January 1, 2012.
MLAW Energy provides services for the following programs: